HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Singing, building and drawing MAT MAN (with mini-whiteboards and special Kindergarten-size whiteboard pens
- Learning each other’s names by singing a new song, “Willowby Wallaby Woo” (this week we will make a class book to go along with the song)
- Having a visit from Zero The Hero (who comes to school each time there is a zero in our “How many days have we been in Kindergarten” chart- 10, 20, 30, etc). The kids learned about the importance of the number zero. Zero The Hero brought the students #10 trees to colour, put 10 apple stickers in, and glue fruit loops into a 10-frame! The kids also made their own Zero the Hero puppets.
- Colour Show and Tell (the students are continuing to work on being good listeners and waiting patiently for their turn to speak)
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday - PURPLE Day
Tuesday – PINK DAY
- P.E. with Ms. Hall (who has been hired for the position)
Wednesday - RAINBOW DAY! (or dress in your favourite colour)
- Library with Mrs. Gorman (return library books by Tuesday)
Thursday – PAC Subway Lunch order forms due
- Art Starts Performance (this is part of the $15 student fee ;))
Friday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
It’s the 2nd part of COLOUR WEEK! We will continue to focus on the last colours of the rainbow this week. The students are encouraged to wear clothing of the day's colour and bring a small object of that colour to school (object MUST FIT IN BACKPACK). We have been working on sorting our special colour items by size, texture, weight and other single attributes (has wheels, made of plastic,etc) before we bring them back home the same day. Please remember to refrain from sending precious and special items to school.
Busy Bee & “What Is It?” Sharing Bag
Now that we have been at Kindergarten for a month already, it is time for the kids to start helping the class as the “Busy Bee” (aka: VIP). About once a month, each student will have a turn to be the “Busy Bee”. This means being kept busy with lots of jobs like being the “teacher’s assistant”, leading calendar time, sitting in the Busy Bee chair, leading line-ups, washing hands first before eating, picking a centre activity first, and much more. The October Busy Bee calendar is posted on the class bulletin board in the hallway.
Another “perk” during the special Busy Bee Day is “What Is It?” Sharing (a version of Show and Tell)! When your child is the Busy Bee, he/she will bring home the What Is It? Sharing bag (it's a big zippered reusable shopping bag with animals all over it). Please look inside and read the info. sheet to help your child prepare for this exciting activity (INFO SHEET MUST STAY IN THE BAG for the next person). Your child can bring ONE item (MUST FIT IN THE BAG) to school the next morning to share with the class. Educational and/or items that help us get to know a child/family are wonderful (rather than bringing a toy every time). Please do not send any valuable or extra sentimental objects to school.
Upcoming Parent-Teacher Interviews on Oct. 19th & 20th:
Students will be dismissed at 12:30pm both days to accommodate Parent-Teacher interviews. Firstly, I am waiting to hear whether I will be away Oct. 20th for teacher-training (about the new curriculum). Secondly, once I know my schedule, I will contact those families (via a note in the Back & Forth Folder) who I have not yet met with/didn’t do a Welcome to K family interview with. I would like to give these families first priority for signing up for an interview. If you do not receive an interview request note from me this week, it means I am happy with your child’s progress thus far and do not feel we need to met right at this time. However, by all means, if you would like to sign up for an interview please do so after Oct. 12th.
HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Complete and sign STUDENT VERIFICATION FORMS and return to school ASAP
- Return school fee forms and payment
- PAC Subway Lunch order forms are due the morning of Thurs. Oct. 6th
- Discuss how your child’s day went with him/her on a daily basis. Which colour zone did he/she stay in for most of the day? What went well? Ask if he/she can recall specific examples of his/her “blue”, “green”, “yellow” or “red” choices. What could he/she work on doing better? Remind him/her that every day is a fresh start and a chance to do our best! :)
- Parent Volunteers Needed (on a bi-weekly basis) for Washing Red pinnies for our class. All Kindies wear these outside every recess and lunch to help supervisors easily identify the younger students at Parkcrest. Two families/parents alternate taking the pinnies home to wash them each Friday and return them to school on Monday. I will post a Sign up sheet in the hallway this week :)
- Oct. 10th - Happy Thanksgiving - NO SCHOOL
- Oct. 11th - Picture Day
- Oct. 14th - Roots of Empathy Program begins in our class (was postponed a week due to scheduling issues. More info. about the program will come after our first session)
- Oct. 19th & 20th - 12:30pm Early Dismissal both days for Parent-Teacher interviews
- Oct. 21 - Pro-D Day (No school)
See you Monday for Purple Day!