- Creating a Halloween mini-book based on “Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?”
- Pumpkin Patch trip and Pumpkin Math/Science/Art Stations - thanks to all those parent helpers! We couldn’t do these fun events without your help.
- Having ALL our library books returned for the 2nd week in a row!!!!! :D
- Drawing and writing a new ending for the poem/book “5 Little Pumpkins” with our Big Buddies
- Meeting our ROE baby THOMAS and his Mom Jennie!
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday - Halloween! School Costume Parade. Dance in gym for primaries 12:15-12:45, and much more!
Tuesday – P.E. with Ms. Hall
Wednesday - Library with Mrs. Gorman (return library books by Tuesday)
Thursday – Senor Froggy PAC lunch
Friday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Roots of Empathy Program with Mr. Wayne Tresierra
- Ms. Gartrell away
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
It’s going to be another exciting week with Halloween and the beginning of a new month!
Please refrain from sending candy to school in your child’s lunch (during this Halloween season, but also in the future). I am also asking parents to refrain from sending Halloween goodies for the whole class. I do my best to follow a Healthy Schools policy in my classroom and do not give out candy or sweets as prizes. Healthy, nutritious snacks are so important to a child’s learning and overall development. Eating candy and sugary treats at school creates "hyper" behaviour, which then leads to sugar-crashes (and most often social problems and challenging behaviours). We have a Halloween Dance and some special activities planned, so that’s a treat already :). For future reference, if you want to send something special to school for your child’s birthday, please speak with me about some healthy options (e.g., fruit-kabobs or tray, veggie tray, homemade muffins, etc). Thanks in advance for your cooperation with this matter. :)
We will focus on the letter "Pp" this week. We will continue talking about the letters in each others’ names by making Chicka Chicka Boom Boom trees (based on the book) and learning about where letters start (nearly all letters and numbers at the TOP)! We will read books about “Listening Larry” a character who teaches children to listen with their WHOLE BODIES.
Halloween Dance in the gym - the primary students are welcome to go to either the dance or the playground during lunch (12:15-12:45pm). Kindergarten students will need to eat their lunch before they go to the dance. PAC will be selling glow sticks for 50 cents (first come first serve basis).
Students are allowed to come to school on Monday in costume provided that:
- they can use the washroom independently (can take costume on/off by themselves if necessary - as I will not be able to help 22 students in or out of costumes!)
- It is comfortable - they can move freely/easily (can sit at carpet & at tables)
- no masks or accessories
- school appropriate (no violent costumes or weapons – even if they are props)
If your child’s costume does not meet these requirements, he/she is welcome to wear orange and black to school on Halloween. :)
- Return school fee forms and payment ASAP
- Dress your child appropriately for the weather each day (the weather is getting chilly!)
HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Thanks to Nadine Brooks who volunteers to do the first batch of scrapbook gluing. I will ask for more volunteers when we have some more work to go inside.
-Nov. 4-18th - Ms. Gartrell will be away. I will be out of the country so I will not be able able answer any emails or calls. Please talk to our wonderful TOC Mrs. Sweeney or Mrs. Linfitt (principal).
-Nov. 4-10 - Scholastic Book Fair in the library: Our class will have a “Book Look” time (where students get to preview the books) as well as two “Book Buying” times (during this time, only students with money will be going to the book fair). With Kindies, I find it’s easy (and more secure so money does not get lost) if parents purchase books WITH their child during our class book buying times or after school. If your are sending money to school for your child to purchase a book, please clearly label the money and put it in the Back and Forth folder. I will post a blog update once I know our class’s Book Buying dates and times.
-Nov. 9 - School Photo Retakes
-Nov. 11 – No school due to Remembrance Day
-Nov. 15 - Duffle Bag Theatre presentation (part of the Art Starts portion of school fees)
-Nov. 22 - You Can Count on Me Program - one parent/child session where parents have the opportunity to learn some simple, positive strategies to help their children with math at home. Parents will have the opportunity to practice the strategies with their child at the end of the session. Info about how to sign up will come at a later date.
See you Monday. Can’t wait to see all the kids dressed up!