- Apple Fun with apples from Ms. Gartrell’s family orchard! Learning about an apple’s life cycle, conducting science investigations (sink/float, using weigh scales and our 5 senses) AND taste testing. Surprisingly Granny Smith was the favourite (usually Ambrosia and Aurora Golden Gala are most popular)!
- Meeting Wayne and starting Roots of Empathy (ROE)! (Please complete and return the white form that was sent home on Friday). The kids made predictions of how big our ROE baby Maisie will be and what things she can do
- Zero the Hero’s visit on day #20
- Bringing back ALL of our library books for our very first library exchange day! This has not happened in Ms. Gartrell’s Kindergarten class before so we celebrated with a Popcorn and Movie Party!
- Practicing using our scissors safely while making our class book “Ten Apples Up on Top” and a Leaf mini-book with our Big Buddy Class
- Having Mrs. Anderson be a TOC while Ms. Gartrell was a half-day teacher training event
- Learning about the letters in our names, reading the story “Chrysanthemum” and graphing our own names based on how many letters they had
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic (rescheduled due to Friday’s Pro-D day)
Tuesday –Roots of Empathy Baby Maisie’s 1st visit!
Wednesday - Library with Mrs. Bond (return library books AND plastic Book Bag by Tuesday)
–PAC Lunch Pizza Day
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Thursday – 12:30pm Early Dismissal both days for Parent-Teacher interviews
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Friday – Pro-D Day (No school)
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
We will focus on the letter "t" in Jolly Phonics, the letters in our names, the sounds letters make (with a new class book called “Alphabet Jive”) and use the story “Brown Bear Brown Bear” to help us make a mini-book about shapes and colours. We will see if we have enough time for a leaf hunt this week as well.
In Art, we will begin colouring our “Birthday Bodies” so they can be displayed on our class Birthday Train. We are also continuing to work on our ART CARDS project. Your child’s artwork will be printed onto greeting cards which you can purchase as a PAC fundraiser. I would really love a parent volunteer for part of this project on Tuesday, Oct. 17th from 1:20-2:15pm. If you are available to help please let me know.
PARENT-TEACHER INTERVIEWS on Thurs, Oct. 19th:
Students will be dismissed at 12:30pm to accommodate Parent-Teacher interviews. I have been in contact with most families and have sent back blue slip of paper with your highlighted interview time. If you have not received an interview request from me and would like to met, please sign-up on the interview sheet on the bulletin board outside our classroom.
Kindergarten Survey Data sheet - Thank you so much for returning these so quickly! There are only a few forms left to return. :)
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Complete and sign STUDENT VERIFICATION FORMS and return to school ASAP
- Return school fee forms and payment
- Daily Behaviour Calendar: This has been working well in class. Remember if I write “see back” on today’s date, there is a note on the back of the calendar. Please take a moment to write back in the Parent/Guardian space.
- Parent Volunteers Required For: Please send me a note in the Back and Forth (B & F) folder if you are interested in helping.
- Art Project on Tues. Oct. 17th (1:20-2:15)
- Thurs. Oct. 26th - Field Trip to Sunset Valley Farm. We will be needing 4-5 parent volunteers to help supervise (sorry, no younger siblings can attend).
- Fri. Oct. 27th - Pumpkin Math Stations (in classroom) - 4-5 Parent Volunteers are required to run stations.
- Scrapbooks: volunteers for gluing/stapling student work into scrapbooks – they can be taken home with you or done at school (this will be an ongoing job so I usually have a parent help glue work in 1-2 times each month). I am really hoping to get these started this week :)
- Last week was Fire Safety Week - complete and return those little white slips to be entered in a draw to win a ipad!
- October Scholastic Book Orders due Oct. 30th. Payment can be made online (see below) or with a cheque. Please do not send cash, as I cannot send this in the mail. Scholastic orders are a great way for classroom teachers to earn coupons for purchasing new books for our class library!
- Visit parentpay.scholastic.ca to complete the payment for their Reading Club order, then submit order form to their child's teacher.
- Teachers place class orders as usual and when they're ready to submit, the parent payments are already there waiting to be applied.
- Books arrive in the classroom and Bonus Coupons are deposited in the teacher's Bonus Bank
- Oct. 23rd -Halloween Safety Talk with Constable Winkels
- Oct. 25th –PAC Lunch Subway Day
- Oct. 26th - Field Trip to Sunset Valley Farm and Pumpkin Patch @ 11:30am.
- Cost TBA: but my initial estimate is $9 which will include busing, corn maze, a tractor ride, and a pumpkin for each student to bring back to school. Pumpkins will stay at school for Friday’s math centers
- Oct. 27th- Pumpkin Math Centers (pumpkins will be sent home today)
- Parkcrest Clothing Orders due (remember PAC will be a FREE t-shirt for each Kindie that returns their order form with a size selected! THANKS PAC!!)
- Oct. 31st -Halloween (more info. TBA)
See you on Marvelous Monday!