- Printing our very best “D”s and 7’s in our Handwriting Without Tears workbooks (HWT)!
- Celebrating Literacy Week with lots of fun activities (Buddy Reading with Ms. Quast’s gr.1 class, Musical Letters, Wear a Word)
- Making paper dragons with our Gr. 4/5 Big Buddies for Chinese New Year
- Wowing Ms. Gartrell by reading most of Alphabet Jive independently!
- Thinking of some excellent inquiry questions about penguins on our “Wonder Wall”
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Wow, January is nearly over! February is going to be a fun-filled, busy month of special events! Please be sure to read the paper newsletter that was sent home Friday, February 3rd for info. about Valentine’s Day and 100th Day. Families are asked to work with their child to create a Valentine's “mailbox” to bring to school with his/her Valentines on Feb. 14th. On Friday, Feb. 3rd, the children will bring home a brown paper lunch bag and a “heart animal” to colour, cut, and glue on their lunch bag (assembly directions will be included).
We will be celebrating Groundhog Day this week. This week’s Jolly Phonics letter is Ll. In phonics, the kids have loved playing “Musical Letters” and were introduced to the game “The Quiet Machine” on the Smartboard (http://pbskids.org/lions/games/) to identifying the first sound and letter we hear in words. In Printing, we will continue working on more “frog jump capital letters”: P, B, R. We will also practice printing “8”.
In Math, we are continuing to work with numbers (greater than/less than) and graph our predictions about penguins and Groundhog Day! We are continuing with our theme of Penguins as well. The students each thought of their own unique wonder to guide our inquiry about penguins. As we begin reading and exploring about these animals, we will write down answers to each of their questions. Next week, we will begin a new learning theme about Healthy Living & Healthy Hearts (positive/caring relationships, family, nutrition, exercise, parts of the body).
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Remember to hand in your completed challenge “Unplug and Play” forms this week so your child can be entered in a draw for a prize. Forms must be returned this week.
- Students need to STAY OFF THE SNOW PILES (no playing “King of the Hill” and trying to push others off, etc.), to use sidewalks and crosswalks (NOT WALK THROUGH PARKING LOTS), and to leave ALL SNOW ON THE GROUND (no throwing snowballs) BEFORE, DURING, or AFTER SCHOOL
- Friendly reminder if your child arrives late (after 8:30am), you must sign him/her in at the office and our secretary will hand your child a popsicle stick (this stick is given to the teacher so we know the student has been accounted for in the computer attendance system).
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Tuesday – January Scholastic Book Orders due
Wednesday – Library
- P.E. with Ms. Hall
Thursday – Groundhog Day
- A & W lunch
Friday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Roots of Empathy visit with Wayne
- Valentine Cookie-gram orders due
- February 13th - Family Day (NO SCHOOL)
-February 14th -Valentine's Day, Cookie-grams delivered (more info. In Friday’s paper newsletter)
-February 23rd - Early Dismissal @ 12:30pm
-February 24th - Pro-D Day (No school)
-February 27th - 100th Day of Kindergarten (more info. In Friday’s paper newsletter)
See you Monday!
-Ms. Gartrell :)