HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- NED Show: Character Educ. assembly (message: Never give up, Encourage others, Do your best). Newsletter about NED yo-yo “Pay-it-Forward” sale was sent home Friday
- Playing the phonics game “Crocodile Crocodile” (Ms. Gartrell showed a video of this game to Ms. Gorman and she loved it!)
- Baby Maisie’s visit (she can roll over by herself now!)
- Printing wonderful 6, 7 and 8s in our Printing Workbooks (Ms. Gartrell will send home Handwriting Without Tears letter formation info for parents this week :) )
- Transforming circles into different objects and illustrating a class book, “Our Circle Story”
- Being respectful quiet audience members at the Remembrance Day assembly :D
- Zero the Hero’s visit - he brought a 1-10 puzzle for the kids to colour and cut out with their family (you can keep this puzzle at home)
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
This week’s Jolly Phonics letters and sound are “c" and “k”. We will continue practicing the correct formation of numbers, particularly numerals 9, 10 (and reviewing 1-10) this week.
We will continue to talk about how each of us is unique and also how we come together as a caring class community (Roots of Empathy connection). I absolutely LOVE the kids self-portraits, which are now on display above our cubbies (I may just leave them up all year because I love them so much ;) ). We will talk about why we are "happy to be me" - what makes us special, dislikes/likes, how we look similar/or different physically, etc.). We will also begin talking about being Socially Responsible and introduce the concept of “Bucket Filling”. We will make a “wrinkled heart” as a class to emphasize that our words and actions have a lasting affect and can hurt someone’s feelings even after we apologize. Here is the rhyme to help us remember, “Before you speak think and be smart, it’s hard to fix a wrinkled heart”.
Our “How to Fill a Bucket” unit is based on the incredible book, “Have You Filled A Bucket Today?”. The concept of “Bucket Filling” means that when you do something kind for someone else, it fills his/her bucket (makes him/her feel good/happy/loved) and in turn, fills your own bucket. However, when you do something unkind to someone else, it empties his/her bucket (makes him/her feel sad/upset/lonely) as well as your own bucket. This concept correlates really well with our “Traffic Light” behaviour expectations too. You may hear your child talking a lot about bucket filling (green/blue choices) and dipping (yellow/red choices) this week. :)
The “WHAT IS IT?” Sharing Bag (a version of Show and Share) begins this week! When your child is the Busy Bee, he/she will bring home the What Is It? Sharing bag (it's a big zippered reusable shopping bag with animals all over it). Please look inside and read the laminated info. sheet to help your child prepare his/her answers for this exciting activity (INFO SHEET MUST STAY IN THE BAG for the next person). Your child can bring ONE item (MUST FIT IN THE BAG) to school the next morning to share with the class. Educational and/or items that help us get to know a child/family are wonderful (rather than bringing a toy every time). Please do not send any valuable or extra sentimental objects to school. Your child will bring home his/her Show and Share item in his/her backpack the same day so the bag can go home with the next person.
HOW PARENTS CAN HELP/REMINDERS:
- Review the “Jolly Phonics Sound Group #1” sheet (was sent home last Friday) with your child. Have him/her teach you the action and sound (perhaps even the song if he/she remembers!) that goes along with each letter.
- Please send your child dressed for the weather (snow pants, winter coats, toques, waterproof mittens and boots). Please have your child practice putting on their own snow gear and doing their best to zip up their own zippers
- Pack an extra pair of CLOTHES AND SOCKS (or leave them in your child’s coat/shelf area) for accidents or snow/wet weather
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – NO SCHOOL (Remembrance Day Stat)
Tuesday - Roots of Empathy visit with Wayne
Wednesday – Library with Ms. Bond
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Thursday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Friday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Nov. 20th -Art Cards By Kids online orders due today (see inside of sample card for detailed ordering info)
- Nov. 20th -Nov. Class Scholastic Book Orders due
- Nov. 23th -PAC Craft Fair @ 4pm in the gym & Chopped Leaf Lunch
- Nov. 27th - PAC Purdy’s Chocolate orders due
- Dec. 1st @ 8:30am in library- You Can Count on Me Program - Math event for Kindergarten parent/family member. Adults will learn some simple, positive strategies to help their children with math at home. Parents will have the opportunity to practice the strategies with their child at the end of the session (registration forms will be sent home soon)
- Dec. 4th – Pro-D Day (No school)
- Dec. 5th - Complete and return the November Homework Calendar by Dec. 5th to be part of our class prize draw (this will be a monthly event)
Enjoy your long weekend. See you Tuesday.