Thank you to all those families who sent booster seats for their children and volunteered to drive to the Big Little Science Centre last Tuesday! The kids had such a great time and were buzzing with excitement when we arrived back at school.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Field trip to Big Little Science Centre - watching experiments about Force and Motion and having fun in the hands-on experiment rooms
- Celebrating the 140th Day of school with Zero the Hero and new addition dice game that uses our bodies
- Watching a video about praying mantis and discussing if we found answers to our “Wonder” questions. We are still patiently waiting for the ootheca (egg sack) to open!
- Continuing to work on our farm animal 2-D or 3-D art projects
- Sensory Tubs Centre: Pretending we were a farmer doing chores by playing with plastic animals and dirt. Once the animals were dirty, the kids used water and toothbrushes to wash and clean them!
- Hearing about the Star Student’s favourite things and watching his awesome basketball and fidget spinner tricks!
- Starting a Mother’s Day surprise (hopefully it will be done by Friday - it will depend when Ms. Gartrell can come back to school)
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
We have our first gymnastics lesson at the Kamloops Gymnastics and Trampoline Centre (KGTC) this THURSDAY MORNING! We will load the bus promptly at 8:35am. If you are late, you will have to meet us at KGTC before our 9:00am lesson. Please make sure your child is dressed ready for gymnastics in comfortable clothing (no jeans), hair tied up, and no jewellery or watches.
This week’s Jolly Phonics sounds/letter blends are “ch” and “sh” (e.g. as in “choo choo train” and “sheep”). We have been talking a lot about BLENDS and VOWEL TEAMS/PAIRS. The kids are excellent “sound/word detectives” and are becoming emergent readers! They are beginning to use reading strategies like, “chunking” (looking for smaller words within a word) and “sounding it out” (identifying blends, vowels teams, individual letter sounds) to identify words.
In Printing, we will practice printing lowercase y, j and possibly introduce a new group of lowercase letters - “DIVING LETTERS” - for example, p. We have also been printing words and sentences on what we call “grade 1 pages” (lines pages)!
In Science, we are continuing to work on our in-depth Farm Animal Research Projects (sketching, writing facts, and creating 2-D and 3-D art). We will also compare and contrast certain animal facts by sorting them into a Venn diagram.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – Parkcrest Track and Field Day
-PAC concession OPEN DURING LUNCH. All interested students can bring a few $ for a treat
Tuesday – Roots of Empathy with Wayne
Wednesday – Library with Mrs. Bond
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Thursday – Gymnastics at KGTC. BUS leaves school at 8:35am. Return to school about 10:25am
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Friday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
UPCOMING FIELD TRIPS:
- Gymnastics at Kamloops Gymnastics and Trampoline Centre - Thursday May 17th. We will be leaving the school at 8:35am as our lessons begin at 9:00am. If your child is late and misses the bus, you would have to meet us up at the KGTC before 9:00am. These fun outings are a part of our Kindergarten PE program.
- Rainbow’s Roost Farm - Thursday, May 30th. This will be a fantastic way to finish up our farm animal inquiry projects! Times and cost TBA. We will be taking the bus so there will likely be a $2-3 fee.
- BC Wildlife Park -Tuesday, June 12th. Times and cost TBA. Park admission and bus fees will be required.
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Ongoing activity: Parkcrest Problem of the Week (click the link or go to Parkcrest website)
- Send a water bottle to school each day - or leave one in child’s cubby shelf
- May 14 - Blueberries Singing Group (Art Starts performance)
- May 15 - Class Photos (Kindergartens are usually sometime during the morning)
- May 16 - PAC Sr. Froggy Pasta Lunch
- May 17 - Gymnastics Lessons at KGTC
- May 17 - SPARK # 4 - 4:30-5:30pm - For kids registered to start Kindergarten next Sept.
- May 18 - Pro-D Day (No school)
- May 21 - Victoria Day (No school)
- May 22 - Scholastic Orders Due
- May 24 - Primary Celebration of Learning. 4-5pm - stop by the class before you head to the gym for Bingo! The kids farm animal projects will be on display.
- May 24 - Bingo & Bannock. 5-7pm in the gym (pink sign-up sheet on our hallway bulletin board)
- May 30 - Chopped Leaf Lunch
- May 31 - Rainbow’s Roost Farm field trip
- June 12 - BC Wildlife Park field trip
- June 26 - Goodbye Kindergarten Celebration in our classroom. Time TBA
See you all later this week.