HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Hearing the Bluesberries Music Group play incredible Blues and Rock & Roll songs
- Field trip to KGTC for our final gymnastics lesson
- Our last visit with Baby Maisie! It was so wonderful to witness her grow and change since September :)
- Observing our painted lady larvae grown and grow and learning about a caterpillar’s body parts
- Putting together our farm animal research books (please come check them out from 4-5pm this Thursday - before the Parckrest Bannock & Bingo event)
- Hearing about the Star Student’s favourite things and reading a book made about his name
- Printing a new group of lowercase letters: “DIVING LETTERS” - r and n
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
This week’s Jolly Phonics sounds/letter blends are “qu” and “ou” (as in “ouch”). In Printing, we will practice printing more lowercase “Diving Letters” m, h and b. We will also keep working on printing words and sentences on what we call “grade 1 pages”!
In Science, we will continue learning about the life cycle and body parts of butterflies. We will make a graph predicting how long it will take for our class larvae to move to the next stage of metamorphosis (becoming a chrysalis). We will begin a butterfly inquiry booklet as well.
We have finished our in-depth Farm Animal Research Projects and will be re-reading over our research books so we can share our findings with our Big Buddies and families. Reminder, I will be in the classroom from 4-5pm so families can see the student’s final farm animal projects. Please let me know ASAP (by either writing a note in your child’s folder or filling in the pink slip) if you are planning to attend the Parkcrest Bannock & Bingo event Thursday from 5-7pm.
We have two presentations this Friday, Eureka Science interactive presentation first thing in the morning as well as “Hug-a-Tree” wilderness safety presentation later in the day.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – Victoria Day (No School)
Tuesday – Roots of Empathy. Last visit with Wayne!
- May Scholastic Orders Due
Wednesday – Library with Mrs. Bond
- DQ Days order forms due
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Thursday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
-Rainbow’s Roost Permission form and $5 fee due today
-Celebration of Learning in our classroom 4-5pm
-Bannock & Bingo Family Night 5-7pm
Friday - Eureka Science Presentation 8:30am
-”Hug-a-Tree” Wilderness Safety presentation
UPCOMING EVENTS & FIELD TRIPS:
- Rainbow’s Roost Farm - Thursday, May 30th. This will be a fantastic way to finish up our farm animal inquiry projects! The bus estimate was higher than I anticipated, thus there will be a $5 fee for this trip. Permission Form and $5 fee due by May 24th.
- BC Wildlife Park -Tuesday, June 12th. Times and cost TBA. Park admission and bus fees will be required.
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Ongoing activity: Parkcrest Problem of the Week (click the link or go to Parkcrest website)
- Send a water bottle to school each day - or leave one in child’s cubby shelf
- Running shoes are the safest footwear for both indoor and outdoor times at school (particularly now in the spring when there are bees, etc. in our field and the kids often go outside for P.E.)
- May 28 - Community Helper Talk with Constable Winkels & DQ Day
- May 30 - Chopped Leaf Lunch
- May 31 - Rainbow’s Roost Farm field trip
- June 4 -DQ Day
- June 6 -Kindergarten Orientation for those children starting Kindergarten in September 2018
- June 11 - DQ Day
- June 12 - BC Wildlife Park field trip
- June 26 - Goodbye Kindergarten Celebration in our classroom. Time TBA
See you tomorrow.