PRIMARY FUN DAY at BROCK POOL (Mon. June 25th): Our class swims from 11-12pm. We currently have 5 female adult volunteers; however, WE URGENTLY NEED 1-2 MORE ADULT MALE VOLUNTEERS FOR SWIMMING! If we do not meet the necessary safety ratio (3 kids to 1 adult), our class will not be allowed to swim in the pool. Please send me a note or sign up on the hallway bulletin board by Thursday, June 21. Thanks to those families who have already signed up! I will be sending a paper newsletter home this week with more specific details for this trip.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Having a fantastic time at the BC Wildlife Park - thanks to our parent volunteers!
- Working on our class quilt
- Learning a new game “Spell Back” - your kids can teach you at home ;)
- Reading sight words (words you cannot sound out phonetically) from the Level 2 “Tricky Hat”
- Brainstorming a HUGE list of over 80 people who help us in our community
- Making a Class Book about what type of job we would want to do
- Finishing Father’s Day projects
- Last visit with Zero the Hero and Zeroina - they even brought us a zero-shaped treat!
- Seeing what the LAST Star Student’s brought to share with the class
- Checking out all the amazing projects and creations at the Gr. 5/6s Young Entrepreneur Day
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
This week in Phonics, we will continue reviewing all 43 sounds from the Jolly Phonics Program. Last week we tried a few activities from Jolly Phonics Level 2 (this level is usually for grade 1!) and the kids loved it. We will try a few more Level 2 activities this week as well.
In Printing, we will work on finishing the last “grade 1” pages in our books. These pages focus on sentence and paragraph writing (e.g., spacing letters on lines, spacing words, and using punctuation).
In Socials/Career Education, we will continue community theme and discuss which jobs have the purpose of keeping us safe (emphasizing water safety and road/sidewalk safety for our upcoming field trip to the Brock Pool).
In Applied Skills and Design (ASD), we will continue working on our class quilt project! It’s nearly finished. Thanks again to our two crafty parent volunteers :)
In Math, we will continue to work on addition equations (students have been introduced to horizontal and vertical addition problems).
In Art, we will create one more self portrait for our scrapbooks and reflect on how much our drawing skills have improved since our October portrait!
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – TNRD Summer Reading Club Info. Session
Wednesday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Thursday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Friday -P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
-PAC Freezie Friday - $1 each. Sold right after school
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- 1-2 ADULT MALE VOLUNTEERS are needed for PRIMARY FUN DAY at BROCK POOL (Mon. June 25th)
- RETURN ALL LIBRARY BOOKS (they were DUE back by FRIDAY, JUNE 15th)
- Check school LOST AND FOUND (it is very full!)
- Ongoing activity: Parkcrest Problem of the Week (click the link or go to Parkcrest website)
- June 25- Primary Fun Day @ Brock Pool (times TBA)
- 6 Adult volunteers will be required for: swimming from 11-12pm
: lawn activities/games for after swimming
(sign-up will be on permission forms and/or hallway bulletin board closer to the 25th)
- June 26 -Goodbye Kindergarten Celebration @ 1:40 pm in our classroom
- June 27 - Last day of school for Ms. Gartrell! (I am getting married in the Okanagan on July 2nd, so I will be taking the 28th and 29th to prep for the wedding :D)
- June 28 - Last day of school for students
- Early Dismissal @ 12:00pm
- Report cards sent home
See you tomorrow.