- Drawing Shape Robots (for our letter of the week focus: R) with our Big Buddies
- Playing MUSICAL LETTERS (a new phonics game)
- Playing “Roll A Snowman” (and bringing the game home!)
- Visiting with Baby Maisie and seeing that she can nearly sit up by herself now
- Printing capital letters B and R in our HWT books!
- Making our Reindeer Antler headbands and practicing our winter concert songs (please practice at home too :D)
- Continuing our "Countdown to Christmas" class ornament advent tree
- Reviewing - our problem solving strategies (“TILT”, “TALK, WALK, SQUAWK”, using an assertive voice, Tattling vs. Telling) and apologizing
- Painting ornaments (Thanks Courtney!)
- Reading classmates’ names in print each morning without the assistance of pictures!
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
This week’s Jolly Phonics letter and sound is “Mm”. We will continue with the last “Frog Jump Capital letters” N and M. Practicing printing our first names in the “grade 1 way” (initial capital letter followed by lowercase letters) each morning has really been helping the students improve their legibility and printing speed.
We will begin an author/illustrator study on the very talented Jan Brett this week. We will compare and contrast some of her stories and work on retelling details with story wheels and puppets. Our Literacy Centers this week will be focused around Jan Brett’s version of Ukrainian folktale, “The Mitten”. I am also hoping Ms. Boyer (Parkcrest’s Aboriginal Support Worker) will have time to visit our class and read a story to us.
In Math this week, we will continue our “Countdown to Christmas” and making a graph with our morning question. The kids are having fun making Zero Hero’s hungry fish eat the larger number. Zero the Hero will be back to visit the kids on Tuesday for the 60th day of Kindergarten! We will also talk about Hanukkah traditions and learn how to play a math game with dreidels.
In Art, we will be busy making some Winter-themed creations and hopefully have time to create some Jan Brett inspired art too!
The kids have been doing well in class with our two songs for the holiday concert: “Colourful Mittens” and “Reindeer Hokey Pokey”. We will practice on stage this week as well. To keep “costuming” simple, the kids and I are going to make paper Reindeer headbands. For clothing, our class will wear black pants/skirt/tights and a white or red shirt (please avoid logos - or turn the shirt inside out). Girls can wear a red or white party dress if they’d rather. Also keep safe footwear in mind, the kids will be walking up and down some metal stairs and bench-type risers independently so high-heeled party shoes can be dangerous.
To ensure we have enough seating at the Primary concerts, please choose to ATTEND ONE CONCERT: either 9:00am, Dec. 20th OR 1:05pm, Dec. 21st.
HOW PARENTS CAN HELP/REMINDERS:
- Practice our holiday songs at home
- Please send your child dressed for the weather
- Remember to Label your child’s belongings
- Mrs. Shantz’s Gr.. 5/6 class is organizing a “Winter Bundles” care package drive (a small white piece of paper listing items they are looking for was taped to the Back and Forth Folder last week). There is a collection box located at the front entrance of the school
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Tuesday - Roots of Empathy visit with Wayne
- 60th Day of Kindergarten
Wednesday – Library with Ms. Bond
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- PAC Purdy’s Chocolate Fundraiser Delivery
Thursday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- PAC Poinsettia Fundraiser Delivery
Friday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
-Report Cards go home (please read and keep the paper report, then sign and return the envelope to school)
- Dec. 20 and 21st - Parkcrest Winter Concert (Primary and Intermediate classes have been divided up into 2 separate concerts to allow for more audience space and shorter concert times).
- 9:00am, Dec. 19th - Primary Concert Dress Rehearsal
- 9:00am, Dec. 20th - Primary concert in gym
- 1:05pm, Dec. 21st - Primary concert in gym
- Dec. 25 - Jan. 5th - WINTER BREAK (no school)
- School re-opens January 8th
See you tomorrow!