HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Seeing Baby Maisie again (she’s crawling easily now and has quite a few teeth!)
- Meeting “Linus the Minus”, who came with Zero the Hero this week
- Checking in on our plant experiments and learning about the function of a plant stem
- Day of Sucwentwecw Assembly -storytelling, drumming, chanting (our class shared a quick “I Spy” chant using the rattles we made back in March)
- Beginning our Farm Animals research projects
- Reading quietly for 16 minutes straight! That is a new record for our “Read to Self” time! :D
- Hearing about the Star Student’s favourite things
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK
This week’s Jolly Phonics sound/letter is “w”. In Printing, we will practice printing lowercase a, d and g (they all start with a lowercase “Magic C”)!
In Science, we will continue to observe our plant experiments and discuss what affects plant growth. Our main learning focus for the next 2-4 weeks will be researching farm animals. Last week, each student choose a farm animal they would like to learn more about. This week, the kids will think of a “wonder” (inquiry question that will guide their research) about that animal. In small groups, we will work on labeling the parts of the animals and learning about their life cycles. As we begin reading and exploring about these animals, we will write down answers to each of the children's wonder questions. We will be sharing some of this information at the April 19th Celebration of Learning. I imagine we will not have our animal projects 100% complete by April 19th, so we may have another sharing day/open house later in May.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – P.E. (make-up lesson for 1 of days in March we missed P.E. due to TTOC shortages)
Tuesday –Roots of Empathy with Wayne
Wednesday – Library with Mrs. Bond
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Thursday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Friday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- SPARK #2 @ 4:30pm for those students registered for Kindergarten next year
UPCOMING FIELD TRIPS AND SPECIAL EVENTS:
- Thursday, April 19th, 2018 - Celebration of Learning (aka: Student-lead “Brag” Night) from 2:30-5:30pm. The kids are getting excited about being the “teacher” and showing their families all the amazing things they have been learning about in Kindergarten (particularly their farm animal projects). The classroom will be open for families to stop by anytime between 2:30 and 5:30 pm. If you are unable to come on the 19th, please make arrangements with me for another date. It would be unfortunate to have any students or families miss out on this special event. Please keep in mind this is not a time to have a parent teacher interview with me (as we can set up another time for this), but for your child to show you around the classroom. :)
- Gymnastics at Kamloops Gymnastics and Trampoline Centre - Thursday May 10th and Thursday May 17th. We will be leaving the school at 8:35am as our lessons begin at 9:00am. If your child is late and misses the bus, you would have to meet us up at the KGTC before 9:00am. Permission forms and fees will be sent home once I have confirmation for final lesson and bus costs. These fun outings are a part of our Kindergarten PE program.
- Big Little Science Centre - Tuesday, May 1st, 2018 from 10:00-11:30am: A permission slip for this field trip will be sent home very soon. Just a heads up, in order to make this trip FREE - we will be needing 5-6 parent driver volunteers (and a booster seat for each child) :) We will depart school at 9:50am, depart BLSC around 11:30am).
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Ongoing activity: Parkcrest Problem of the Week (click the link or go to Parkcrest website)
- Parkcrest Ready, Steady, Read-a-thon fill in your child’s reading goal and daily reading minutes on the sheets that were sent home last Monday. Please return your child’s reading log and all sponsorship money raised to Parkcrest by April 17th.
- Please complete and return the “Emergency Phone Number” sheet. The kids will be practicing printing this number each morning (in addition to their first and last name). Please choose one contact number and be sure to add the area code. NOTE: please also make sure the office has this emergency number up to date! ;)
- Read your child’s Term 2 report card (keep the report) and return the SIGNED envelope to school
- April 17 - PAC Cookie Fundraiser orders delivered
- April 18 - PAC Hot Dog Lunch
- April 19 - Celebration of Learning (aka: “Student Brag Night”) from 2:30-5:30pm (in our classroom)
- April 22 - Earth Day
- April 23 - Pro-D (No school)
- April 26 -SPARK #3 @ 4:30pm for those students registered for Kindergarten next year
- May 3 - PAC Panago Pizza Lunch
- May 10 & 17 - Gymnastics Lessons at KGTC
- May 16 - PAC Sr. Froggy Pasta Lunch
- May 18 -Pro-D Day (No school)
- May 21 - Victoria Day (No school)
See you all tomorrow!