Also, please remember to send your child’s BOOSTER SEAT ON TUESDAY MORNING. Your child will not be able to attend the Big Little Science Center trip without a seat.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Generating Wonder questions about praying mantis. We are patiently waiting for the ootheca (egg sack) to open!
- Using manipulatives to act out subtraction songs and story books like “5 Little Ducks”, “5 Little Monkeys”, “5 Green and Speckled Frogs”. Then using that knowledge to complete subtraction equations in our Math Journals
- Starting some of the farm animal 2-D or 3-D art projects
- WOWING our Big Buddies with our 2nd draft drawings of our farm animal. Then using another set of feedback to complete our 3rd/4th drafts
- STEM activity: constructing shelters, fences, and barns for plastic farm animals
- Seeing our bean sprouts continue to grow (or wither if they are in the dark or in a bag with limited air)
- Watching two wonderful performances by local elementary students - Bert Edwards Skipping Rope Team and Kamloops Children’s Honor Choir
- Seeing Baby Maisie can now stand and balance on her own for a few seconds. She can nearly walk by herself, eat a lot of solid foods and throw a ball!
- Hearing about the Star Student’s favourite things
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
This week’s Jolly Phonics sounds/letters are “y” (e.g. as in “yogurt” or Shy Y as in“ yummy”) and “x”. In Printing, we will practice printing lowercase k, y and possibly j.
In Science, we are continuing to work on our Farm Animal Research Projects and observe our plant growth experiments. We will compare and contrast certain animal facts by sorting them into a Venn diagram. We will continue “sketching like scientists” (using a photo) and possibly “colouring like a scientist” for those students who have completed 4 or more drafts and know which one is their very best final drawing. We will also continue to work on a variety of farm animal Art projects this week.
Big Little Science Centre Field Trip - Tuesday, May 1st from 10:00-11:30am. Permission forms due this Tuesday. We will depart the school at 9:50am, and leave BLSC around 11:30am. We now have enough parent volunteer drivers go on this trip. Thanks very much to those volunteers! Reminder that drivers need to complete a SD73 Volunteer Driver Form and show the office their driver’s license and insurance papers by Monday, April 30th. Also remember students MUST BRING A BOOSTER SEAT TO SCHOOL TUESDAY MORNING.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – Gymnastics Permission Forms and $11 fee due today
Tuesday – Big Little Science Center Field Trip. Leaving school at 9:50am. Return to school around 11:40am. BOOSTER SEATS REQUIRED (please label your child’s seat).
- Roots of Empathy with Wayne
Wednesday – Library with Mrs. Bond
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Panago Pizza Lunch
Thursday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Friday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
UPCOMING FIELD TRIPS:
- Gymnastics at Kamloops Gymnastics and Trampoline Centre - Thursday May 10th and Thursday May 17th. We will be leaving the school at 8:35am as our lessons begin at 9:00am. If your child is late and misses the bus, you would have to meet us up at the KGTC before 9:00am. Permission forms and $11 fee due April 30th. These fun outings are a part of our Kindergarten PE program.
- Rainbow’s Roost Farm - Thursday, May 30th. This will be a fantastic way to finish up our farm animal inquiry projects! Times and cost TBA. We will be taking the bus so there will likely be a $2-3 fee.
- BC Wildlife Park -Tuesday, June 12th. Times and cost TBA. Park admission and bus fees will be required.
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Ongoing activity: Parkcrest Problem of the Week (click the link or go to Parkcrest website)
- Sometime in mid-late May, I’d like to start our class quilt (each class at Parkcrest is making a display quilt). If any parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. have sewing skills I would greatly appreciate any help! Please send me a note if you are able to help in the future.
- May 10 & 17 - Gymnastics Lessons at KGTC
- May 14 - Blueberries Singing Group (Art Starts performance)
- May 15 - Class Photos
- May 16 - PAC Sr. Froggy Pasta Lunch
- May 17 - SPARK # 4 - 4:30-5:30pm - For kids registered to start Kindergarten next Sept.
- May 18 - Pro-D Day (No school)
- May 21 - Victoria Day (No school)
- May 30 - Chopped Leaf Lunch
- May 31 - Rainbow’s Roost Farm field trip
- June 12 - BC Wildlife Park field trip
- June 26 - Goodbye Kindergarten Celebration in our classroom. Time TBA
See you all Monday!