Happy Superbowl Day! ;) More snow outside and more germs are going around inside. Please remember that if your child is sick, he/she needs to stay at home to recover and prevent the spread of germs. Also be sure your child is dressed appropriately for the weather each day! Many students have had to borrow my extra mittens or snowpants over the past 2 weeks.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Printing our very best X and Zs in our Handwriting Without Tears workbooks
- Sustaining 6 minutes of quiet Read-to-Self time using our “Stamina Book Bags” and our special “Reading Turtle Cushions”
- Writing a Busy Bee Valentine about what each of us appreciate/like/think he/she is good at
- Snowball Addition - throwing fake snowballs into two hula-hoops then adding the sum (then drawing a similar addition story in our Math journals)
- Making groundhogs, graphing our predictions, then and taking them outside to see if it would be an extended winter or not (our results showed spring should be on its way!)
- Learning about last week’s Star Student and passing Katie Koala onto someone new
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
This week’s Jolly Phonics letter is “Ff”. We are learning there are 3 ways to read a book: read the words, read the pictures, retell/remember/imagine the story. We have continued to work hard on sustaining “Read to Self” quiet time each day. In Printing, we will begin working on a new group of capital letters, “Magic C Capitals”: C, O.
We will begin a new monthly learning theme about Healthy Living & Healthy Hearts. This week we will focus on family and friendship (who is in our family, similarities/differences between our families, role of family members, positive caring relationships, qualities of a good friend, etc.). Please send a family photo as soon as possible (it does not have to be recent, or it can be 2 separate photos if need) so we can begin making a “Family Photo Wall”. Your photo will be returned to you at the end of the school year. It is also helpful if you write your family members names on the back of the photo (or stick on a post-it) so I can help the children spell names correctly. :)
Please be sure to read the paper newsletter about Valentine’s Day and 100th Day info (sent home Friday, Feb. 2). Families are asked to work with their child to create a Valentine's “mailbox” to bring to school with his/her Valentines on Feb. 14th. Supplies for this project were sent home on Friday, Feb. 2nd (brown paper lunch bag and a “heart animal” to colour, cut, and glue on their lunch bag).
The Kindies are loving learning more about each “Star Student of the Week”. This week’s Star Student will share his/her special things/books/memories with the class and take care of our class stuffie Katie Koala until Friday. A new child will take the Star Student bag home Friday afternoon. When it is your child’s turn, please carefully read the info. sheets in the Star Student Bag and the class journal as soon as your child brings home the bag. Please remember, in order for all children to have their special week before the end of the school year, we need to ensure the bag, journal, and stuffie are all returned to school and ready to go home with the next child every Friday (or Thurs. if there is a Pro-D day or holiday).
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – Constable Winkels visits to talk more about WITS program (Walk Away, Ignore, Talk it Out, Seek Help)
Tuesday –90th Day of Kindergarten
- PAC Valentine’s Cookie Grams orders due
Wednesday – Library with Mrs. Bond
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Thursday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Friday - Roots of Empathy visit with Wayne and Baby Maisie
-P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Read the pink paper newsletter that was sent home Friday, February 2nd for info. about Valentine’s Day and 100th Day
- Sign-up sheets for Valentine’s Treats and 100th Day Math Centers are on the hallway bulletin board outside our classroom
- FEBRUARY FAMILY PHOTO WALL - Please send a family photo as soon as possible
- Work on making a Valentine’s card mail-bag at home with the materials your child brought home Friday, Feb. 3rd. Bring the completed bag back Feb. 14th (with your child’s name CLEARLY written on it).
- Send/leave a water bottle at school so students can refill it from our new water purifier!
- Reminder: Scholastic Book Orders are CHEQUE or ONLINE PAYMENTS only (as I cannot send cash in the mail)
- Friendly reminder if your child arrives late (after 8:30am), you must sign him/her in at the office and our secretary will hand your child a popsicle stick (this stick is given to the teacher so we know the student has been accounted for in the computer attendance system)
- Feb. 12 -Family Day (NO SCHOOL)
- Feb. 13-16 - Kindergarten Registration for the 2018-2019 school-year. Please have proof of address, birth certificate and Care Card for your child. See this website for more information: http://www3.sd73.bc.ca/general/content/kindergarten-registration
- Feb. 14 - Valentine’s Day. PAC Cookie-grams delivered (more info. on paper newsletter sent home Friday 2nd)
- Feb. 15 - Panago Pizza Day
- Feb. 21 - 100th Day of Kindergarten (more info. In Friday’s paper newsletter)
- Feb. 22 - Pro-D Day (NO SCHOOL)
- Feb. 23 - Pro-D Day (NO SCHOOL)
- Feb. 28 - Pink Shirt/Anti-Bully Awareness Day (wear a pink shirt to encourage tolerance, acceptance and kindness) & Subway lunch
See you all tomorrow.