HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Sharing our farm-animal research books and artwork with our Big Buddies AND families. Thanks to all those families who came out
- Bingo & Bannock night! Thanks Ms. Boyer for organizing
- Our last Roots of Empathy visit with Wayne! We had such a great year learning, singing, and talking with him.
- Observing our painted lady larvae move into the next stage of metamorphosis - chrysalis! Some adult butterflies actually emerged from their chrysalis on Friday! (a week earlier than usual. These caterpillars seem to be a week ahead for each phases of metamorphosis somehow)
- Sequencing a Monarch Butterfly’s life cycle and beginning a Butterfly Inquiry booklet while drawing and colouring like scientists
- Eureka Science presentation: trying out hands-on experiments with chemistry, physics and biology.
- Hug-a-Tree Wilderness Safety presentation with Mr. Hilt - learning about what to do if we are lost in the woods/campsite.
- Hearing about the Star Student’s favourite things and seeing photos of his family
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
We have our Rainbow’s Roost Farm trip this Thursday, May 31st. The bus will leave Parckrest at 9:20am. Please send your child to school with:
- clothing for any time of weather
- Snacks and lunch
- Water bottle
- Running shoes (no sandals please)
In Science, we will continue learning about how butterflies live, their bodies, metamorphosis, and their needs for survival. We will continue to research and record our findings in our Butterfly Inquiry booklets. We will also continue comparing moths and butterflies to learn their similarities and differences .We will make a symmetrical butterfly art project this week as well..
In Math, we will work on addition and subtraction questions and have a visit from Zeroina or Zero the Hero on Friday (our 160th day!)
I am also hoping to prep materials for our class quilt this week. If you have previously contacted me about volunteering to help with the sewing, please let me know what days you are free next week (and likely the following week) to help the kids assemble their quilt square.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – DQ Day
-Constable Winkels visits to share about her job in the community
Tuesday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic (rescheduled for our Thursday field trip)
Wednesday – Library with Mrs. Bond
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Chopped Leaf Lunch
Thursday -Rainbow’s Roost Field Trip (leaving school @ 9:20am - returning to school around 1:45pm)
Friday - P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Complete and return BC Wildlife Park permission form and $12 fee
- Ongoing activity: Parkcrest Problem of the Week (click the link or go to Parkcrest website)
- Send a water bottle to school each day - or leave one in child’s cubby shelf
- Running shoes are the safest footwear for both indoor and outdoor times at school (particularly now in the spring when there are bees, etc. in our field and the kids often go outside for P.E.)
- June 4 - DQ Day
- June 6- Last Library Sign-out day
- June 6 -Kindergarten Orientation for those children starting Kindergarten in September 2018
- June 11 - DQ Day
- June 12 - BC Wildlife Park field trip
- June 15 - All Library Books due back by today
- June 25- Primary Fun Day @ Brock Pool (more info TBA)
- June 26 - Goodbye Kindergarten Celebration in our classroom. Time TBA
See you tomorrow.