HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Field trip to KGTC for our first gymnastics lessons -the kids had a blast on all the different equipment
- Watching our ootheca (egg sack) open and having some praying mantis nymphs emerge on Friday!
- We are nearly finished our farm animal research books and 2-D or 3-D art projects!
- Having a mystery parcel arrive in the mail...it was Painted Lady Butterfly larvae!
- Hearing about the Star Student’s favourite things and reading her favourite silly rhyming book
- Printing a new group of lowercase letters: “DIVING LETTERS” - p
- Finishing our Mother’s Day gifs
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
We have our second gymnastics lesson at the KGTC this THURSDAY MORNING! We will load the bus promptly at 8:35am. If you are late, you will have to meet us at KGTC before our 9:00am lesson. Please make sure your child is dressed ready for gymnastics in comfortable clothing (no jeans), hair tied up, and no jewellery or watches.
This week’s Jolly Phonics sounds/letter blends are “th/th” and “qu” (e.g. as in “the and thumb” and “quack”). In Printing, we will practice printing more lowercase “Diving Letters” r, n, and m. We will also keep working on printing words and sentences on what we call “grade 1 pages”!
In Science, we are working on wrapping up our in-depth Farm Animal Research Projects. We have also started learning about the life cycles and body parts of praying mantis and butterflies. We will make a graph predicting how long it will take for our class larvae to move to the next stage of metamorphosis (becoming a chrysalis).
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – Blueberries Singing Group (Art Starts performance)
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic (rescheduled due to Friday Pro-D Day)
Tuesday – Roots of Empathy. Last visit with Baby Maisie!
- Class Photos (Kindergartens are usually sometime during the morning)
Wednesday – Library with Mrs. Bond
- Sr. Froggy’s Lunch
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
Thursday – Gymnastics at KGTC. BUS leaves school at 8:35am. Return to school about 10:25am
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- SPARK # 4 @ 4:30-5:30pm - For kids registered to start Kindergarten next Sept.
- Class placement forms are due back to the office by today for 2018-2019 school year. Please pick up forms at the office.
Friday - Pro-D Day (No School)
UPCOMING EVENTS & FIELD TRIPS:
- Thursday May 24th:
- Primary Celebration of Learning 4-5pm in classroom -The kids farm animal projects will be on display (stop by the class before you head to the gym for Bingo)
- Bingo & Bannock. 5-7pm in the gym -This a time to mingle and gather with our families to honour those grandparents and special support people in our children’s lives. Optional: if you’d like to bring a goodie that is easy to share (e.g., cookies, muffins, squares, etc.). To sign up, write your name, number of guests attending, optional treat you’ll bring on the HOT PINK SHEET on our hallway bulletin board or send a note in your child’s folder with these details and I can add your name to the list. The office would like to know who is participating by May 17th.
- Rainbow’s Roost Farm - Thursday, May 30th. This will be a fantastic way to finish up our farm animal inquiry projects! The bus estimate was higher than I anticipated, thus there will be a $5 fee for this trip. Permission Form and $5 fee due by May 24th.
- BC Wildlife Park -Tuesday, June 12th. Times and cost TBA. Park admission and bus fees will be required.
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Ongoing activity: Parkcrest Problem of the Week (click the link or go to Parkcrest website)
- Send a water bottle to school each day - or leave one in child’s cubby shelf
- Running shoes are the safest footwear for both indoor and outdoor times at school (particularly now in the spring when there are bees, etc. in our field and the kids often go outside for P.E.)
- May 21 - Victoria Day (No school)
- May 22 - Scholastic Orders Due
- May 24 - Rainbow’s Roost Permission Form and $5 fee due by today
- May 24 - Primary Celebration of Learning. 4-5pm - stop by the class before you head to the gym for Bingo! The kids farm animal projects will be on display.
- May 24 - Bingo & Bannock. 5-7pm in the gym (pink sign-up sheet on our hallway bulletin board)
- May 25 - Hug-a-Tree Wilderness Safety presentation
- May 25 - Eureka Science Presentation
- May 28 - Community Helper Talk with Constable Winkels
- May 30 - Chopped Leaf Lunch
- May 31 - Rainbow’s Roost Farm field trip
- June 12 - BC Wildlife Park field trip
- June 26 - Goodbye Kindergarten Celebration in our classroom. Time TBA
See you tomorrow.