In Science this week, we will be finishing the Natural Disaster projects and presenting/reading them aloud next week. Some students have told me they are nearly finished their projects! Keep up the great work. I have posted the Evaluation sheet in addition to the website links and topic research questions (thanks to a wonderful parent suggestion) so families are clear of the assignment expectations. We will be starting a short mapping unit in Social Studies to help prepare for the McQueen Lake Field trip. Students have also started a basketball unit in P.E., we have started to work on developing our ball-hand In Art on Thursday and Friday, we will be starting one-point perspective drawing to tie into mapping in Social Studies. Here are some vocabulary words we will be discussing:
- Linear perspective tricks eye into seeing depth on a flat surface . Objects that are larger appear closer while distant objects appear smaller.
- Illusions of space create a vanishing point (a single point on the horizon where all the lines on the ground level seem to come together) on the horizon line (place where the land and sky meet).
Thursday, January 12th -Young Peoples Concert
Thursday, February 9th - Skating with Gr.1 Little Buddies
Thursday, February 16th - Young Peoples Concert and Skating with Gr.1 Little Buddies
Friday, February 24 - Professional Development Day - No school
Future Field Trips:
- SKATING - As mentioned in last weeks blog entry, our class will be going skating in February (dates and times can be found on Jan 3-6 blog entry) . Please write me a note or send me an email if your child does not have skates (or does not have a pair they could borrow). Parkcrest has some skates that can be lent out (on the Honor System); however, most pairs are quite dull so I would encourage parents to get them sharpened in advance. I would love to have a parent volunteer help sort out the skates and/or help those students who need to borrow find a pair (as many of the skate pairs have been separated) as soon as possible. Please let me know if you can help out. Thanks :)
- GYMNASTICS - The Grade 4s will be going to the Tournament Capital Centre for two Gymnastics lessons, Thursday February 23rd and Thursday, March 1st. Parent drivers will be needed for these dates. I will be asking parents to sign up as drivers at a later date. Specific information about times and cost will be included in the permission slip that will be send home closer to the field trips.
- McQueen Lake overnight field trip in February will be primarily organized by Mr.Weddell. More information will be given at a later date.