- Printing our very best “E”s and 6’s in our Handwriting Without Tears workbooks (HWT)!
- Seeing Mrs. Sweeney when Ms. Gartrell was at a teacher training workshop
- Visiting with Baby Thomas - who is 6 months and can sit up all by himself now! :D
- Gaining independence in putting on our snow-gear
- Wowing Ms. Gartrell with how many letter names and sounds we know now!
- Learning about last week’s Star Student and passing Katie Koala onto someone new on Thursday
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
This week is Literacy week, which means there are events going on throughout the school and Kamloops. Students are encouraged to use the “Unplug and Play” challenge booklets from Monday-Friday this week. The booklets were sent home in Back and Forth Folders on Friday, Remember to hand in your completed challenge forms by the end of January so your child can be entered in the prize draw! Also be sure to check inside the "Unplug and Play" challenge handout for special events happening in the community. See our Week’s Schedule below to read about in-class Literacy week activities we can look forward to.
In addition to, Literacy Week, this week is also the Great Kindness Challenge. We will review what it means to be a Bucket Filler and see how many bucket-filling kindness acts we can do next week.
Our new Jolly Phonics letter this week is Uu - a special vowel letter! In phonics, we are working on identifying the first sound and letter we hear in words. We will also been segmenting (“stretching out” = c - a - t) and blending words with big letter cards and Ms. Gartrell’s “sound wand”. In Handwriting Without Tears (HWT) Printing, we will continue working on “Frog Jump Capitals”. So far, we have practiced F and E, this week we will learn how to print D.
In Math, we are continuing to work on printing number 7 in our HWT book and are getting ready for a visit from Zero the Hero for our 80th day of school! We will continue to learn more about opposites and prepositions (up, down, under, over, etc.). Please remember to have your child practice reading each mini-book that is sent home. This week’s book is about penguins and prepositions. Last week was a busy, short week so we ran out of time to introduce our Penguin learning theme; we will begin investigating and researching penguins this week instead.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – Read to a Stuffy (children can bring a stuffed animal that fits in their backpack)
- Pizza Orders due
Tuesday – How to Retell a Story with Mrs. Buchart (our school Literacy Coordinator)
- P.E. with Ms. Hall
Wednesday - Wear a Word Day (Ms. Gartrell will provide the word name tags)
- Buddy Reading with Ms. Quast’s Grade 1 students (working on fluency, Ks will be reading an "ABC Jive" mini-book)
- Library with Mrs. Gorman
Thursday – More Story Retelling with Mrs. Buchart
- playing a new phonics game “Musical Letters”
- 80th Day of Kindergarten!
Friday -Reading Rocks So Wear Funky Socks (Kindies are encouraged to wear fun socks)
- Buddy Reading with Mrs. Montalbetti’s grade ⅘ students
- Pizza PAC lunch
- A&W Orders due
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Roots of Empathy visit with Wayne
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- January 31st - Scholastic Book Orders due
- February 3rd -PAC Valentine’s Cookie Grams orders due
- Sign and return your child’s report card envelope (Yes, I am still waiting for envelopes to be returned so I can reuse them for Term 2’s report card :S)
- Dress appropriate for the cold/wet weather -bringing/leaving extra clothing and socks at school is also encouraged
- Friendly reminder if your child arrives late (after 8:30am), you must sign him/her in at the office and our secretary will hand your child a popsicle stick (this stick is given to the teacher so we know the student has been accounted for in the computer attendance system).
- Students need to STAY OFF THE SNOW PILES adjacent to our parking lots, to use sidewalks and crosswalks (NOT WALK THROUGH PARKING LOTS), and to leave ALL SNOW ON THE GROUND (no throwing snowballs) BEFORE, DURING, or AFTER SCHOOL
- February 13th - Family Day (No School)
- February 23rd - Early Dismissal @ 12:30pm (info. about parent-teacher-student interview format TBA)
- February 24th - Pro-D Day (No School)
See you Monday!
-Ms. Gartrell :)