- Pink Shirt Day - creating a class book about acceptance
- Practicing our “kid writing” with Mrs. Butchart
- Filling the class bucket and watching part of “March of the Penguins” as a reward (it’s a long movie so we’ll be watching more of it this week).
- Making 100 Hats for Monday
- Finishing our Tacky the Penguin art/math projects which are now up in the hallway! :)
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
This week’s Jolly Phonics sound/letters are “j” and “oa” (as in goat). Our class literacy-focused sharing for Read Around the Planet teleconferencing will be at 1pm on Wednesday. We will read the book “Alphabet Jive” as a class. We’re excited to see what the other class has prepared for us as it will be a surprise! In Printing, we will work on capital letters that do not have a “frog jump”: W and X. The students have continued to work on identifying the sounds like hear in a word and are beginning to segment then blend the sounds together to create words (the building blocks of reading and writing!). We will continue to focus on using “kid writing”(phonetic spelling) where students try to print all the prominent sounds they hear in a word. In Math, we will be doing many things focused on 100! Our 100th DAY OF KINDERGARTEN is MONDAY so remember to bring your 100 collection/poster to school. Please help your child organize the objects into groups of 10. This makes sharing and counting the projects much easier (and efficient time-wise). We now have 5 family volunteers for our 100th day activities between 10:30-11:50 am. Thanks so much! In Science, we will continue being Researchers with our ongoing study of penguins.
This week we will begin our “Healthy Living” theme and brainstorm things that keep us healthy. We will first focus on healthy eating habits and nutrition (specifically the 4 food groups, serving sizes, and “Eat a Rainbow” (eating a balanced diet). Next week, we will discuss how to avoid spreading germs (proper hand-washing and personal hygiene) and keeping our bodies safe using the Be Safe! program. The Be Safe! program was developed by the Canadian Red Cross. I recently completed the teacher's training for this program and I am excited to use this up-to-date resource again this year. The program uses child-friendly, age-appropriate resources (music, posters, stories, Trusty the puppet) to focus on developing personal safety, body ownership, and preventing child sexual abuse. These learning outcomes tie directly in with the BC Kindergarten curriculum requirements. I understand this is a very sensitive topic to speak about with young children, if you would like further information about the program please let me know and I can send home a detailed parent information booklet. After 2-3 subsequent lessons, I will send home a brief parent-page that summarizes what was discussed in class. This information will give specific topic points which you can review and reinforce with your child at home.
If you do not want your child to take part in these brief lessons (7-8 x 20-minute lessons), please contact me immediately. If a child does not participate in the classroom lessons, it is expected the family will cover the content on their own at home.
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- We are collecting the following empty boxes and we’d love to start using them A.S.A.P :) :
- shoe boxes (any size is great as no boxes have been brought into the class yet)
- large kleenex boxes
- cereal boxes
- Please send a family photo for your child to display on our FAMILY WALL sometime in early March. Your photo will be returned to you at the end of the school year. :)
- Ensure your child keeps his/her toys at home (we have plenty of toys in our classroom already)
- March Scholastic Book Orders - due March 15th (Scholastic orders are a great way for classroom teachers to earn coupons for purchasing new books for our class library!)
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Monday – 100th Day of Kindergarten! (Bring a 100 collection to share with the class).
- Math Centers with family volunteers from 10:30-11:50am
Tuesday – P.E. with Ms. Hall
Wednesday - 1pm Library book exchange and Read Around the Planet with Mrs. Gorman
Thursday – Pizza Day
Friday - WCT “The House on Pooh Corner” permission form and $12 fee due today
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Roots of Empathy visit with Wayne and baby Thomas
-March 9th - WCT “The House on Pooh Corner” at Pavilion Theatre (bus leaves school around 9:20am)
-March 13th -Purdy’s Chocolate Fundraiser Orders due
-March 16 - Subway lunch and Term 2 Report Cards sent home
-March 2 - March 31 -SPRING BREAK
-April 3rd - Welcome back to School
-April 14th - Good Friday (No school)
-April 17th - Easter Monday (No school)
-April 20th - Celebration of Learning 5:00-6:00pm
-April 24th - Pro-D Day (No School)
See everyone tomorrow!