Well, last week didn’t go quite as I had planned. I had strep throat (again :( ) and we did not have usual TOC coverage on Tuesday. Luckily, Mr. Martin was in our class for the remainder of the week. However, because I was away so long, our farm animal projects didn’t progress as much as I had hoped. Therefore, at the Celebration of Learning (“Brag Night”) this Thursday, the kids will give you a tour of our classroom and show you what they have been working on so far (the “process” is just as important as the “product” ;) ). When our projects are completely finished, we will have another sharing night. There is talk that the primary teachers would like to arrange a large multi-class Celebration of Learning in late May.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK:
- Vancouver Theatre Sports performance (Art Starts performance)
- Researching and learning about our our farm animal’s life cycle, it’s diet and appearance
- Seeing our bean seeds have sprouted!
- Hearing about the Star Student’s favourite things
- Spending time with Mr. Martin (TOC)
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK
This week’s Jolly Phonics sound/letter is “ng” (as in “strong”) and “v”. In Printing, we will practice printing lowercase u and i (depending if last week’s letters were finished while I was away).
In Science, we will continue to check-in on our plant experiments and discuss what affects plant growth. However, we will be focusing on our farm animal research. This week, the kids will research more facts about their animal and search for an answer to their “wonder” (inquiry question). In small groups, we will work on “sketching like an artist/scientist” our animals from a photo. The students will work on numerous drafts before they colour their final copy. Our Big Buddy class will be helping us with feedback for ways we can improve our drawing drafts. Again, I imagine we will not have our animal projects 100% complete by the Celebration of Learning (April 19th), so we may have another sharing/open house later in May.
Thursday, April 19th, 2018 - Celebration of Learning (aka: Student-lead “Brag” Night) from 2:30-5:30pm. The kids are getting excited about being the “teacher” and showing their families all the amazing things they have been learning about in Kindergarten (particularly their farm animal projects). The classroom will be open for families to stop by anytime between 2:30 and 5:30 pm. If you are unable to come on the 19th, please make arrangements with me for another date. It would be unfortunate to have any students or families miss out on this special event. Please keep in mind this is not a time to have a parent teacher interview with me (as we can set up another time for this), but for your child to show you around the classroom. :)
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE:
Tuesday –Roots of Empathy with Wayne
- Return your child’s Parkcrest Ready, Steady, Read-a-thon reading log and all sponsorship money raised to Parkcrest by today
- PAC Cookie orders delivered to school
- P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Hot Dog Lunch
Thursday – P.E. with Mrs. Brkovic
- Celebration of Learning (aka: Student-lead “Brag” Night) from 2:30-5:30pm (in our classroom)
-Earth Day focus - perhaps a school-yard clean-up?
UPCOMING FIELD TRIPS:
- Gymnastics at Kamloops Gymnastics and Trampoline Centre - Thursday May 10th and Thursday May 17th. We will be leaving the school at 8:35am as our lessons begin at 9:00am. If your child is late and misses the bus, you would have to meet us up at the KGTC before 9:00am. Permission forms (were sent home last week) and $11 fee due April 30th. These fun outings are a part of our Kindergarten PE program.
- Big Little Science Centre - Tuesday, May 1st, 2018 from 10:00-11:30am: A permission slip for this field trip will be sent home very soon. Just a heads up, in order to make this trip FREE - we will be needing 5-6 parent driver volunteers (and a booster seat for each child) :) We will depart school at 9:50am, depart BLSC around 11:30am).
REMINDERS/HOW PARENTS CAN HELP:
- Gymnastics permission forms and $11 fees due by April 30th
- Ongoing activity: Parkcrest Problem of the Week (click the link or go to Parkcrest website)
- Sometime in mid-late May, I’d like to start our class quilt (each class at Parkcrest is making a display quilt). If any parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. have sewing skills I would greatly appreciate any help! Please send me a note if you are able to help in the future.
- Please complete and return the “Emergency Phone Number” sheet. The kids will be practicing printing this number each morning (in addition to their first and last name). Please choose one contact number and be sure to add the area code. NOTE: please also make sure the office has this emergency number up to date! ;)
- Read your child’s Term 2 report card (keep the report) and return the SIGNED envelope to school
- April 22 - Earth Day
- April 23 - Pro-D (No school)
- April 26 -SPARK #3 @ 4:30pm for those students registered for Kindergarten next year
- May 1 - Big Little Science Centre Field Trip 10:00-11:30am
- May 3 - PAC Panago Pizza Lunch
- May 10 & 17 - Gymnastics Lessons at KGTC
- May 14 - Blueberries Signing Group (Art Starts performance)
- May 15 -Class Photos
- May 16 - PAC Sr. Froggy Pasta Lunch
- May 18 -Pro-D Day (No school)
- May 21 - Victoria Day (No school)
See you all tomorrow!